RadioBanter

-   -   The First 13 Days of the Revolution (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/116269-first-13-days-revolution.html)

AF6AY March 27th 07 06:44 PM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

On Mar 27, 5:28?am, "Alun L. Palmer" wrote:
wrote groups.com:

On Mar 19, 9:13?pm, Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 19, 6:42?pm, Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 19, 8:33?am, "an old friend" wrote:
On Mar 18, 12:12 pm, "Alun L. Palmer" wrote:
" wrote
roups.com:
Blimey! You got a callsign! I didn't think it would ever happen.
Welcome aboard. Alun N3KIP

he did just as he said he would years ago

I did NOT "do as I said years ago."

Ah yes, neophyte. What the Gs call 'nippers'.

A nipper is a child - on air we call them 'harmonics'. Oddly enough, we
refer to both spurii and children as 'sprogs' also.

73 de Alun, N3KIP, G8VUK

Alun, for an obvious Anglophile Miccolis doesn't know much. Tsk,
you had best "Elmer" him in such things. Or perhaps have him
watch PBS-TV on a 48-hour marathon of BBS telly shows from
the 1970s.

One of the problems that created the total spam in this newsgroup
is the "newsgroup bloggers" such as Miccolis, vainly trying to find
an outlet for his unrepentant evangelism for morse code mode...and
trying to pretend he is one of the olde-tymers in hamme raddio.

I don't pretend to be one of those "auld hammes" but I've been IN
and ON radio since early 1953...in many radio services, including
being a third-party guest of several licensed amateurs during
live contacts. Miccolis' spite is so long-lasting and ever-present
that he feels compelled to continue his denigrations. No matter.
After the first weeks of that years ago, he is no more than the
usual computer-modem communicator whose ego has been
deflated and thus tries to "get back" at his imaginary "enemies."

---

On February 23rd of 2007 there was a sedate "revolution" in U.S.
amateur radio and the elimination of the code test from all license
class examinations. That obviously HURT many of the egos of
the olde-tymers who now prided themselves (inordinately) on their
mastership of morse and, more importantly, being "better than
average amateurs" for having gained the amateur extra class
license. They loved the status, the rank, the privileges, the
prestige and were not above shoving it on all "lesser" beings in
the hobby. That was morally wrong but one cannot say that to
these mighty macho morsemen without repercussions for at
least a decade's worth of spite on their part.

The "revolution" happened but few took part. At most the changes
taking place were a lot of class upgrades in the USA. There was
NO ground-swell of "no-coders" and "CB-types" suddenly filling the
HF bands with "bad behavior." [the bad behavior was already there
and alive from the already-tested-in-morse-code licensees]

The "revolution" had already begun in 1991 with the creation of
the no-code-test Technician Class. That single category is the
ONLY class responsible for keeping the total number of USA
amateur licensees from falling drastically in numbers. Let's face
it, the "actuarial tables" WILL have their way with ALL human
endeavors, no exceptions. USA amateur radio was growing in
age all along but its greying members were busy, busy denying
it while trying to forget about their own mortality, hearkening
back
to a time when they were young and the world (to them) was new.
Those olde-tymers were too busy making themselves feel
"important" to notice that CHANGES were happening in the
hobby. Such denial is one of the first signs of decay in any
human endeavor...but they denied that, mightily.

I didn't really consider getting an amateur radio license until
February 17th of this year. I'd had (and still do) a commercial
license since March 1956. But, it would be, I thought, a FUN
hobby in my retirement years. I don't need the experience to
"further my career" (I've had one, reasonably successfully) or
"give back" anything to anybody. I was not interested in
"emergency work" or volunteerism in radio...I am a volunteer
in other things. Neither am I interested in advancing the state
of the radio art just for the sake of saying I am advancing the
state of the radio art. Theory and construction are simply part
of the fun, of being able to legally try out some experiments
which are fun to do in themselves. Hobbies are about personal
enjoyment for its own sake...although many pervert their own
desires to "be someone" by taking up certain hobbies in order
to brag about it.

Was the license exam "hard?" No. On the most objective
comparison, it would be on the order of college-level quarter
tests in first or second year of formal study...some memorization
of regulations and new terms and procedures specifically about
amateur radio practice. To anyone who has been IN radio (of
almost any kind) for a decade, it was not difficult. Test element
4 question pool contains about 16 times the minimum specified
number of 10 (as regulated by the FCC) questions and the
"hard" part could be said to be in trying to spot the distractors
in phrasing/syntax obviously put there by the VEC QPC. The
"hard" part might be the waiting between elements while a
group of 20 goes through its required tests and grading, most
of whom were applicants for Technician and General class
licenses in my exam group. By observation I was the only
one going "extra out of the box"...and apparently the only one
in the experience of that ARRL VEC test team to have done
so...at least recently.

Did that test experience and license grant "make me better?"
Not really. What I knew I already knew about radio in general,
from theoretical to original design to operating. The only thing
unique in USA amateur radio is the regulations and the on-air
procedure. Otherwise it is no "better" than any other radio
service...who all have their own specific regulations and
procedure and jargon.

I enjoy some minor prestige in the sequential call assignment
for "newbies" who have achieved amateur extra. It yields a lot
of freedom in operating the bands below 23 cm..no real
restrictions based on Class of license. It gains some attention
from dealers of amateur radio equipment, some good and some
bad considering I ask pointed questions about certain products
and have always been a "hard sell" for salesmen. :-)

It should be a lot of FUN. Except in this (and similar) newsgroups
where the emphasis seems to be on general in-fighting of the
"establishment" versus (or is that 'verses' waxing poetic?) those
seeking change. I have the advantage of knowing other amateurs
from past acquaintenceship and work experience and already
have made "contacts" with some of those. No "elmering" needed
among friends. Real friends, not the false labels of those
pretending
to be "friends."

In this first month of the "revolution," it is like "they gave a
war
but nobody showed up." :-) Wouldn't it be nice if all wars
were like that?

73, Len AF6AY

[email protected] March 28th 07 02:19 AM

On Mar 27, 2:44 pm, "AF6AY" wrote:

In this first month of the "revolution," it is like "they gave a
war
but nobody showed up." :-) Wouldn't it be nice if all wars
were like that?

73, Len AF6AY

They gave a war back in the day... Miccolis didn't show up then,
either.

AF6AY March 28th 07 04:44 AM

On Mar 27, 5:19�pm, wrote:
On Mar 27, 2:44 pm, "AF6AY" wrote:

* *In this first month of the "revolution," it is like "they gave a war
* *but nobody showed up." *:-) * Wouldn't it be nice if all wars
* *were like that?

They gave a war back in the day... *Miccolis didn't show up then,
either.

True, but he KNOWS ALL ABOUT it. Sigh...and isn't reticent
about chiding volunteer military veterans. :-(

73, Len AF6AY

AF6AY March 28th 07 04:46 AM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

From: on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:35:58 -0400

Subject: The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

wrote groups.com:

One of the problems that created the total spam in this newsgroup
is the "newsgroup bloggers" such as Miccolis, vainly trying to find
an outlet for his unrepentant evangelism for morse code mode...and
trying to pretend he is one of the olde-tymers in hamme raddio.

and much of the rest because because persons like Jim aet all were
unable to cover in their spam the truth so they looked the other ways
while the assasins

That's one way of looking at it... not really mine, though...

On February 23rd of 2007 there was a sedate "revolution" in U.S.
amateur radio and the elimination of the code test from all license
class examinations. That obviously HURT many of the egos of
the olde-tymers who now prided themselves (inordinately) on their
mastership of morse and, more importantly, being "better than
average amateurs" for having gained the amateur extra class
license. They loved the status, the rank, the privileges, the
prestige and were not above shoving it on all "lesser" beings in
the hobby. That was morally wrong but one cannot say that to
these mighty macho morsemen without repercussions for at
least a decade's worth of spite on their part.

Len you are worng or at best over simplfing

I disagree. I put them as MORALLY *and* ETHICALLY WRONG.

"They" don't like to be told that, but snit on them. "They"
have been trying to force THEIR way on the rest. "They" lost.
TS.

one can say it is wrong You, me, others have done so and by god we
were listened too by the Govt and the very Nation fo the world
sometimes I am turely in awe of what forces were moved and against
such odds

What "forces?" It was just a matter of explaining the
situation in logical LEGISLATIVE terms that the FCC has
always worked with in radio regulation here. Code testing
didn't really have a chance of survival in this modern day
and the FCC already knew of it. If there were any "forces"
at work, it was the uber-traditionalists still thinking in
1930s terms and trying to get "their" way, because "they"
had to do it that way (so everyone else must).

I will now paraphrase Ben Franklin, We were starting a new Ham radio
against haser odds then kinder god would have allowed"

NOT the proper quote, Mark. Forget the wise-words quoting.

Franklin was many things. His biography is fascinating.
Besides being a dirty old man, he was also a free-thinker
unafraid of change. He grew up with strong ties to the
English crown but switched sides on entering middle age.
He was a REBEL with a cause from middle age onwards.

I didn't really consider getting an amateur radio license until
February 17th of this year.

Len you talked about in that famous (or should it now be refered to as
Notorous) post those 7 years ago......

Oh, bull****. That was a throwaway line...but it was something
that Miccolis HAD to keep forever and ever in order to ease
his personal spite later.

Seven years ago I was also retired from an electronics career
as a design engineer, had obtained a First Class Radiotelephone
(Commercial) Radio Operator License in 1956. I'd already been
ON the air operating radios in various radio services, from the
ground, from the air, and from the sea (not far out to sea, but
certainly on water). Had I then really, really "wanted" a ham
license, I could have gotten one. I just didn't see THEN that
doing all that code practice was personally WORTH IT to me.
Just WHAT would an AMATEUR rank-title-status-privilege DO for
ME? I'd already been a pro for years.

but Len from that moment the only doubts I had to you obtain a ham
license shortly after no code was enacted were based on the fact you
might not have lived long enough

"Lived long enough?!?" Good grief, Mark, what do you think
happens when one lives a long time? One day we suddenly turn
into stereotypical "old folks" confined to wheel chairs with
oxygen and intubation/extubation all over?

WE, (said collectively and all-inclusive) can be dead in a
flash through accidents or stroke or heart attacks - or
other things at ANY age. ANY age. NOBODY is immortal.
Not even pro-coders... :-)

I had had my concerns you might of fallen prey to enough of those
detractors added to the occasionaly mind numbing bordom involved to
not manage it but I was indeed wrong and glad to be proven so

Total bull****. THESE neophyte beginners in computer-modem
communications going to psychologically affect ME? Good grief,
I've had 22 1/2 years of practice at that, been a moderator
on BBS public boards, been a co-sysop on two others. I've seen
about all the types of posturing liars and boasters there are
in-person as well as on-line. The group in here is just second-
rate on that kind of thing. The only thing different about this
group is that they have federally-granted amateur radio licenses.
BFD. That doesn't make any of them superhuman...or even
"better than others."

Amateur radio is just a HOBBY. It is supposed to be for personal
enjoyment. The militant arguers in here, the filth-mongers are
just busy, busy trying to wage an amateur Word War III. They
lack the ammunition to do it effectively, cannot use "tactics"
worth a damn. Mark, they pick on YOU because you fall into their
Word War trap by answering nearly ALL of their trolls. You MUST
break away from that habit. It isn't working FOR you. It is
working for THEM...and it has already annoyed the hell out of
the few of us who care to talk about radio regulation policy
and radio.

73, Len AF6AY

[email protected] March 28th 07 11:59 AM

*What* Revolution?

wrote:
On Mar 19, 8:33?am, "an old friend" wrote:
On Mar 18, 12:12 pm, "Alun L. Palmer" wrote:
" wrote
roups.com:
Blimey! You got a callsign! I didn't think it would ever happen.
Welcome aboard. Alun N3KIP

he did just as he said he would years ago

I did NOT "do as I said years ago."
Ah yes, neophyte. What the Gs call 'nippers'.

A nipper is a child - on air we call them 'harmonics'. Oddly enough, we
refer to both spurii and children as 'sprogs' also.

73 de Alun, N3KIP, G8VUK

* *Alun, for an obvious Anglophile
doesn't know much. *

"Nipper" is quite accurate in your case, Len. Your behavior
here is often that of an overtired, spoiled chiled ;-)

* *One of the problems that created the total spam in this newsgroup
* *is the "newsgroup bloggers" such as
vainly trying to find
* *an outlet for his unrepentant evangelism for morse code mode...and
* *trying to pretend he is one of the olde-tymers in hamme raddio.

Len, you told us back on September 22, 2006 that when the
Morse Code test was eliminated you would leave this
newsgroup. But here you are, griping and snipling and
complaining because someone dares to disagree with you.

So typical.

* *I don't pretend to be one of those "auld hammes" but I've been IN
* *and ON radio since early 1953...in many radio services, including
* *being a third-party guest of several licensed amateurs during
* *live contacts.

So what? Anyone can observe. Anyone can say a few words
into the microphone as a guest.

spite is so long-lasting and ever-present
* *that he feels compelled to continue his denigrations.

What denigrations, Len?

Do I call you by your last name or insulting diminutive nicknames?

*No matter.
* *After the first weeks of that years ago, he is no more than the
* *usual computer-modem communicator whose ego has been
* *deflated and thus tries to "get back" at his imaginary "enemies."

There you are, Len, projecting your own behavior and motivations
onto others. Says it all, really.
* *---

* *On February 23rd of 2007 there was a sedate "revolution" in U.S.
* *amateur radio and the elimination of the code test from all license
* *class examinations. *

A revolution? Hardly.

In 1990, it became possible to get a US amateur license of any
license class with only a 5 wpm Morse Code test and a medical
waiver. The waiver required only a simple doctor's note.

On Feb 14 1991, the Technician class license lost its Morse Code
test.

On April 15, 2000, all Morse Code testing except 5 wpm was
eliminated in the USA.

That obviously HURT many of the egos of
* *the olde-tymers who now prided themselves (inordinately) on their
* *mastership of morse and, more importantly, being "better than
* *average amateurs" for having gained the amateur extra class
* *license. *They loved the status, the rank, the privileges, the
* *prestige and were not above shoving it on all "lesser" beings in
* *the hobby. *

You're projecting again, Len.

That was morally wrong but one cannot say that to
* *these mighty macho morsemen without repercussions for at
* *least a decade's worth of spite on their part.

What was morally wrong, Len? Accomplishing something that
you had not?

Is it wrong to be proud of an accomplishment?

* *The "revolution" happened but few took part. *At most the changes
* *taking place were a lot of class upgrades in the USA. *There was
* *NO ground-swell of "no-coders" and "CB-types" suddenly filling the
* *HF bands with "bad behavior." *[the bad behavior was already there
* *and alive from the already-tested-in-morse-code licensees]

Really?

Was ex-KG6IRO Morse Code tested?

You are right about one thing, Len: Almost nobody came.

We were told many times that the Morse Code testing was
stifling "growth". That many "otherwise qualified people" were
being kept out of amateur radio by the "barrier" of even a 5 wpm
Morse Code test.

We were told that a bright and shining New Era would dawn when
it went away.

Yet the number of US hams as of March 27 2007 is *less* than it was on
Feb 22. 2007.

Perhaps that's just a daily anomaly. We shall see. But it's clear
there's
no flood of new people at all. So much for the "barrier".

* *The "revolution" had already begun in 1991 with the creation of
* *the no-code-test Technician Class. *That single category is the
* *ONLY class responsible for keeping the total number of USA
* *amateur licensees from falling drastically in numbers. *

You've made that same, tired old mistake for years, Len. It's just
wrong.

Let's face
* *it, the "actuarial tables" WILL have their way with ALL human
* *endeavors, no exceptions.

So what?

*USA amateur radio was growing in
* *age all along but its greying members were busy, busy denying
* *it while trying to forget about their own mortality, hearkening
back
* *to a time when they were young and the world (to them) was new.

Yet it was *you* who proposed *banning* anyone under the age of
14 from amateur radio in the USA.

The US population has been getting older. Median age in 2000, as
measured by the census, was over 39 years - up by more
than four years since 1990. Americans are living longer, having
fewer children, and having them later in life.

* *Those olde-tymers were too busy making themselves feel
* *"important" to notice that CHANGES were happening in the
* *hobby. *Such denial is one of the first signs of decay in any
* *human endeavor...but they denied that, mightily.

Who denied changes, Len? Not me. Some changes are good,
others aren't.

You resisted changes to the zoning in your neighborhood. You
didn't want it to CHANGE from the way it was when you bought
your house there. Let the others go someplace else - *you*
wouldn't accept that change!

It happened anyway.

* *I didn't really consider getting an amateur radio license until
* *February 17th of this year.

Your own words prove that to be completely false, Len.

For example, back on January 19, 2000, you wrote:

"I'm going for Amateur Extra "out of the box." "

(handy link to the post)

http://tinyurl.com/c5qyv

That was soon after the dropping of all but the 5 wpm code
test. You have called it a "throwaway line" and "taken out of
context" but never said what that's supposed to mean.

Anyone who bothers to click on the link and read what you
wrote can see what you clearly intended. KB9RQZ remembers
it clearly - is he wrong? Is everyone else who read your
"out of the box" boast also wrong?

Or were you just lying to us then?

But that's not the only example

Back on July 15, 2005, you wrote these words in one
of your long insulting diatribes:

"Tried to learn morse for 13 WPM back in the early 60s, reached about
8 WPM, and GAVE UP. "

(handy link)

http://tinyurl.com/25opue

Anyone who bothers to click on the link and read what you
wrote can see what you clearly intended. You were trying
to reach 13 wpm so you could get a General or Conditional
class US Amateur Radio license.

Or were you lying about 8 WPM?

Back then, some classes of US license only
required 5 wpm Morse Code. But a "Novice" or "Technician"
weren't good enough for you then. Or now.

*I'd had (and still do) a commercial
* *license since March 1956.

But not an amateur license. Not a license that would permit
you to have your own amateur station, nor a license that
would permit you to operate another's amateur station.

But, it would be, I thought, a FUN
* *hobby in my retirement years. *

It's been fun for me these past 40 years. No need to
wait for retirement at all.

I don't need the experience to
* *"further my career" (I've had one, reasonably successfully) or
* *"give back" anything to anybody.

All besides the point. The truth is that you did consider
getting an amateur license long before Feb 17 2007. Otherwise,
why were you trying to learn 13 wpm in the 1960s?
Why did you make your "out of the box" claim in 2000?

*I was not interested in
* *"emergency work" or volunteerism in radio...I am a volunteer
* *in other things.

OK, fine. Nobody says you have to volunteer.

The truth is that some amateurs do volunteer and do provide
emergency and public service communications. You may
deny that fact, but it's still true.

*Neither am I interested in advancing the state
* *of the radio art just for the sake of saying I am advancing the
* *state of the radio art.

IOW, you're not going to build anything despite all your running
down of other's accomplishments.

*Theory and construction are simply part
* *of the fun, of being able to legally try out some experiments
* *which are fun to do in themselves.

Sounds like you're rationalizing being an 'appliance operator', Len.

*Hobbies are about personal
* *enjoyment for its own sake...although many pervert their own
* *desires to "be someone" by taking up certain hobbies in order
* *to brag about it.

Gee....who does the most bragging here....why, that would be
*you*, Len!

[...]

So?

[...]

It's not like your actually going to build any radios, Len.

* *It should be a lot of FUN.

It *is*, Len. It's been FUN for me for 40 years - so far.

It's interesting that you say "it should be a lot of FUN" - speaking
of the
future.

Do you have your Amateur Radio station set up yet? Made any
interesting contacts yet?

*Except in this (and similar) newsgroups
* *where the emphasis seems to be on general in-fighting of the
* *"establishment" versus (or is that 'verses' waxing poetic?) those
* *seeking change.

Kinda like people not wanting the zoning in their neighborhood to
change, ever? Not wanting "APARTMENTS" anywhere near them,
even though said "APARTMENTS" were actually in-law suites?
Not wanting a 15 acre piece of *private* land to be
developed because doing so might 'ruin their view'?

*I have the advantage of knowing other amateurs
* *from past acquaintenceship and work experience and already
* *have made "contacts" with some of those.

Using Amateur Radio?

*No "elmering" needed
* *among friends.

Ah yes, Len already knows it all.

*Real friends, not the false labels of those
pretending
* *to be "friends."

In other words, you've had the license a month but haven't done
anything with it. That's OK...you don't have to do a thing except
follow the rules.

* *In this first month of the "revolution," it is like "they gave a
war*but nobody showed up." *:-) *

Yep. All those folks who were going to be hams and bring the New
Era...

Wouldn't it be nice if all wars
* *were like that?

Sure would be. Some of us were saying that 40+ years ago, too.

Jim, N2EY

AF6AY March 28th 07 08:14 PM

*What* Revolution? rip Van N2EY been asleep these past few years

On Mar 28, 4:31?am, wrote:
On 28 Mar 2007 03:59:16 -0700, wrote:

wht more needs to be said you deny seeing reality Rip and must being
going through life sleep walking

No, Mark, Miccolis just doesn't WANT to face reality...or
anything else that will disagree with His view of everything.

For example, I've said in the past that I will leave this
newsgroup once the code test is eliminated.

News Flash: I CHANGED MY MIND ABOUT THAT! :-)

Somehow, in Miccolis' odd view of life and things, one
CANNOT EVER CHANGE THEIR MIND...about anything
once it is stated!

Remarkable inflexibility. Not a good thing in a technology
area that is constantly changing the state of the art.

Miccolis wants the comfortable, the secure (because he
made it long ago), the unchanging from His point of view.
Apparently Miccolis swore some kind of oath long ago
to FOREVER hold the old, trite, worn-out traditions,
policies that were imprinted on his brain years ago. He
can't abide arguments against that world-view and takes
out his spite on all his challengers.

I like to keep flexible, both in technology and traditional
things. Tradition has its place but is really an emotional
thing that does not necessarily hold forever and ever.
The technological arts have been constantly changing in
ALL electronics ("radio" is a subset of that) since before
the first demonstration of radio as a communications
medium in 1896; the Morse-Vail Telegraph System was
first operational in 1844 and spread throughout the world
yet there is no manual "morse code" telegraph working
in North America today and hasn't been for over 40 years.

Why on earth should the FCC have held to the morse
code exam for an AMATEUR radio license that has
operating privileges BELOW 30 MHz so long? The
rhetorical answer is POLITICS. USA politics. The sort
of politics practiced by a minority group of radio
hobbyists who prefer morse code mode over all other
modes and insist that all newcomers DO AS THEY DID.
Inflexibility with high seasoning of control-freak opinion.
It was nonsense to hold on to the old for so long. The
FCC had enough and removed the code test...which
shows that the FCC is not the staid old government
agency that some think it is. The FCC *is* progressive
but it is also hindered by the politics of opinion (as are
all governmental agencies).

In early February I was thinking of all this politics
nonsense and it was obvious that an opportunity
presented itself to me to add one more radio license
to my life experience. I simply changed my mind
about the whole situation, took the tests, passed all
of them, got another callsign (the PLMRS business
radio had been cancelled) and the now-lifetime GROL
was still intact. Okay, now I'm an amateur extra class
amateur radio licensee. Have I had my "first experience"
"with my own radio" as a result of that? Hardly. Been
there, done that, several different ways long ago. But
some of the unreal argument-for-argument-sake idiots
in here seem to think that a ham license is the ONLY
way one can get such 'experience!' :-)

The inflexible mind-set presented by Miccolis has nothing
to do with the situation on testing (or even newsgrouping)
behavior. It is just his way of GETTING BACK at his
detractors in here. It doesn't work (obviously) but he keeps
on trying. It must be irritating to others. To me it is just a
familiar pattern in all of computer-modem commications
media...their respective egos are just personalizing their
in-group of similar-activity devotees. I've seen it long ago
and will - no doubt - continue to see it on these venues.

If Miccolis wants to pretend he is Judge and Jury and
Executioner, let him. He can wear black robes and a veddy
English formal wig if he likes. He doesn't have the authority,
doesn't have the judgement, doesn't have much of anything
upon which to "judge" or "sentence" anyone. He is just a
gavel-banger, making a lot of noise because he loves the
noise. "Court" dismissed.

73, Len AF6AY

Dave Heil March 29th 07 04:18 AM

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19�pm, wrote:

They gave a war back in the day... �Miccolis didn't show up then,
either.

True, but he KNOWS ALL ABOUT it. Sigh...and isn't reticent
about chiding volunteer military veterans. :-(

Neither are you or hot-ham-and-cheese, old sojer. You two act like
you're super citizens whose military service has elevated you above others.

Just a couple of days ago you ridiculed someone who wrote about the
Vietnam War Memorial. You bleated something about Korea. You didn't
serve in Korea during the Korean War. You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage. Your embellishment of
your military service is legend.

Dave K8MN

AF6AY March 29th 07 06:49 AM

*What* Revolution? rip Van N2EY been asleep these past few years

From: on Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:00:14 -0400

On 28 Mar 2007 12:14:12 -0700, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 28, 4:31?am, wrote:
On 28 Mar 2007 03:59:16 -0700, wrote:

For example, I've said in the past that I will leave this
newsgroup once the code test is eliminated.

yea and..

News Flash: I CHANGED MY MIND ABOUT THAT! :-)

indeed you did and then you dared to assert your right to do that

Sunnuvagun! Such a revolutionary thought! :-)

Why on earth should the FCC have held to the morse
code exam for an AMATEUR radio license that has
operating privileges BELOW 30 MHz so long? The
rhetorical answer is POLITICS. USA politics. The sort
of politics practiced by a minority group of radio
hobbyists who prefer morse code mode over all other
modes and insist that all newcomers DO AS THEY DID.
Inflexibility with high seasoning of control-freak opinion.
It was nonsense to hold on to the old for so long. The
FCC had enough and removed the code test...which
shows that the FCC is not the staid old government
agency that some think it is. The FCC *is* progressive
but it is also hindered by the politics of opinion (as are
all governmental agencies).

politics and to be fair inertia both of which tend to dominate the
often Torporid rank of the US Govt 'Crats

I have a much lesser view of "inertia" (failure to "get going"
on some problem) that is supposed to be in government. I see
such "inertia" as simply the time required in having to
consider ALL citizens' input, not just one group that thinks
they are the 'only' ones who can be righteous on some viewpoint.

as I said I am sometimes amazed the FCC moved and moved against the
expressed wishes of the ARRL. the total rebuff of the ARRL's efforts
while in this case were good of the ARS makes me have even more
serious doubts about the ARRL's ability to act for the interest of the
ARS

First off, it is pretty clear that the ARRL has "acted" mainly
in the interests of its MEMBERSHIP. In most interpretations of
any membership organization's formal constitution, that IS what
they are obligated to do. They owe NO allegiance to all amateurs
despite their own propaganda.

It should also be clear that the ARRL was standing rather alone
in world opinion on the code test on up to the start of WRC-03.
The IARU wanted amateur radio regulation S25 rewritten to let
each administration decide for themselves whether its applicants
should test for morse code skill. Right after WRC-03 and the
rewriting of S25 (almost all of it), the ARRL remained "neutral"
towards code testing. I.E., they wouldn't commit one way or the
other, perhaps finding the position of the lone opponent to world
opinion being a bit strong and wrong.

When it came to Comments on FCC 05-143, the ARRL proposed a half-
way scheme of some classes having to test for code but other
classes not to test for code. That satisfied no one but those
licensees who were adamantly opposed to code test elimination.
That was no "solution," only a reworded system of class
distinction based on code skills that was just another form of
what already existed.

The ARRL is showing SOME signs of starting to look at the larger
picture of amateur radio in the USA. Not a great deal and one
must look very closely at what it now does and says publicly.
They must try to entice ALL classes to join. There IS attrition
happening in amateur radio ranks. The numbers show the trend has
begun, despite the denial of some. Newcomers are generally
younger and aren't buying "the old guy's club" stuff like the
old guys did when they were young. A dropping membership means
a smaller demographic for selling ads in QST and a lesser income
from the ARRL's huge publications factory. If their income
decreases they will have a tougher time meeting budgets for the
staff and plant and their "free services" to members (only) will
reduce. That has to happen if their membership drops.

My opinion is that the FCC thinks LESS of the ARRL than it might
have two decades or more ago. The FCC isn't fooled by the
political word phrases of Chris Imlay in describing the ARRL.
DC is the heart of political phrases in the USA and those
phrases ARE recognized as such by those working there. Such
political phrases may wow the general populace (as they are
designed to do) but it is difficult to change minds of those
constantly in receipt of them.

This recent favoritism of "robot stations" for data transmission
is viewed as a half-heated attempt to "go modern." It wasn't
thought out well since it is obvious that such automatic stations
are bound to cause interference for the average amateur on the
bands. On some frequencies the QRM from high-power live amateurs
can be bad enough. At least they ARE live and can be identified
and reached...maybe to change their minds. Robots aren't "alive"
and those just do what they are programmed to do.

The "low-cost" "Radio Designer" computer analysis program was
an attempt (I think an honest one this time) to modernize the
potential for electronic breadboarding...for examination of
circuits as well as trying out design models. However, they
didn't SECURE it well enough and the company that made the
prototype didn't support it forever. Right now, a full working
SPICE program with schematic-to-net-list automatic transfer is
offered FREE to anyone wanting to download it from National
Semiconductor's website. It works. I find it most handy for
design as well as checking out others' circuits. National's
SPICE variant is FREE. Not just for radio amateurs but for ALL.
"Radio Designer" has been on the obsolete list for years now.

If Miccolis wants to pretend he is Judge and Jury and
Executioner, let him. He can wear black robes and a veddy
English formal wig if he likes. He doesn't have the authority,
doesn't have the judgement, doesn't have much of anything
upon which to "judge" or "sentence" anyone. He is just a
gavel-banger, making a lot of noise because he loves the
noise. "Court" dismissed.

be fair Len he can indeed sentence us all .. sentence after sentence
after sentence after mind numbing sentence

deny him what you will but please garnt him his thae man can ramble
and roll on and on

YEAH he do! :-) Little nit-picky arguments over minutae, all
design to "prove" his opponents are "wrong." Argue with him on
those things and he will try to turn it around that the arguer
is always wrong. Jay-suss, that gets old fast...it got old years
ago.

I have some some my favoritie colections of his sentenced pulled out
of rapp in file for reading when I need help to sedate my mind after a
particualrly stresfull day

Whatever works for you, Mark. I don't pretend to be a guru.
I've been around the horn a few times in radio, mostly in other
radio services, so I speak from SOME experience. The only thing
"different" in amateur radio is the man-made jargon and procedure.
The theory, the electrons, fields and waves, all work the same
for EVERY radio service. No difference there. Real designers,
real theory folks KNOW this.

The practitioners of amateur radio, at least some, will pound
on the table, get red in the face, hollering that the ONLY way
one can learn "radio" is to become an amateur licensee. That's
totally stupid emotional non-logic. Most of those just haven't
had any real experience in other radio services and the resent
those of us who have done so. Those practitioners want to SHUT
OUT any mention of other radio services as "not applicable" to
amateur radio. That is just compounding the stupidity and
illogic. But, they DO carry on like that and there isn't any
way to stop them. They have their little "clubhouse" and want
to keep it "safe" from those who don't think like they do. :-)

73, Len AF6AY

AF6AY March 29th 07 07:09 AM

On Mar 28, 7:18�pm, Dave Heil wrote:
AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
They gave a war back in the day... ?Miccolis didn't show up then,
either.

* *True, but he KNOWS ALL ABOUT it. *Sigh...and isn't reticent
* *about chiding volunteer military veterans. *:-(

Neither are you or hot-ham-and-cheese, old sojer. *You two act like
you're super citizens whose military service has elevated you above others.

We HAVE served, robust oberst. We ARE a bit better than
those that NEVER served.

Just a couple of days ago you ridiculed someone who wrote about the
Vietnam War Memorial.

"Ridiculed?!?" NO. Failed to heap gratuitous praise on some
emotional outburst by an UNIDENTIFIED person? YES.

*You bleated something about Korea.

I didn't "BLEAT," robust oberst. I simply stated that the
Korean War has NOT YET been settled. It is in an
almost perpetual state of truce since July, 1953.

*You didn't serve in Korea during the Korean War.

I was assigned to the 8235th Army Unit, a signal
battalion attached to Army Central Command in the
Far East from late January 1953 to January 1956. The
Korean active War was from June 1950 to July 1953.

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage.

"Classic?!?" Hardly. The writing wasn't good enough for
the "classic" classification. :-)

*Your embellishment of your military service is legend.

"Embellishment?!?" :-) Are you going to write the
Department of the Army and demand they retract my
Good Conduct Ribbon award? :-)

What I did during my active US Army assignment is
described in the photo essay available at:

http://sujan.hallikainen.org/Broadca...s/My3Years.pdf

The details described therein have been reviewed and
found accurate by three former members of that battalion
and a retired civilian engineer then working for the US
Army. Also available is:

http://sujan.hallikainen.org/Broadca...phabetSoup.pdf

...which is a digitized booklet produced by the signal
battalion showing what the station and facilities were
like in 1962-1963.

What WE do NOT have is the illustrious battle experience
of mighty warrior David Heil *IN* a country at war. Strangely
enough he is most reticent about saying anything on that.
Chances are, those saying nothing detailed were just the
usual REMF trying to pad out their 'histories.'

Len AF6AY

ex-RA16408336, SSgt SigC, US Army (1952-1960)

NB: The "RA" in the old Army Service Number indicates
a voluntary enlistment. A "US" prefix denotes a draftee.

[email protected] March 29th 07 12:08 PM

On Mar 29, 12:18 am, Dave Heil wrote:
AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
They gave a war back in the day... ?Miccolis didn't show up then,
either.

True, but he KNOWS ALL ABOUT it. Sigh...and isn't reticent
about chiding volunteer military veterans. :-(

Neither are you or hot-ham-and-cheese, old sojer. You two act like
you're super citizens whose military service has elevated you above others.

Heil has no problem denigrating servicemen. Why doesn't he mention
that?

Just a couple of days ago you ridiculed someone who wrote about the
Vietnam War Memorial.

Just a couple of days ago I thanked that individual for his service.
That doesn't mean that I approve of the memorial.

You bleated something about Korea.

You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. How's your nomination coming?

You didn't
serve in Korea during the Korean War.

You didn't serve in Korea.

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage.

Did Len get it wrong? Tell us what it's like.

Your embellishment of
your military service is legend.

Dave K8MN

Your smugness is legendary.

Dave Heil March 29th 07 05:34 PM

From: on Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:00:14 -0400

I have a much lesser view of "inertia" (failure to "get going"
on some problem) that is supposed to be in government. I see
such "inertia" as simply the time required in having to
consider ALL citizens' input, not just one group that thinks
they are the 'only' ones who can be righteous on some viewpoint.

I'm sure that your view was formulated based upon your own experience
with inertia: Decades of considering all things concerning GETTING INTO
amateur radio, better than ten years of posting in this newsgroup, your
false start over seven years ago and finally, waiting for the Morse code
test to disappear.

Newcomers are generally
younger and aren't buying "the old guy's club" stuff like the
old guys did when they were young.

Generally younger? Do you mean generally younger than yourself when you
became a newcomer some weeks ago? I became an ARRL member at 14. I
never considered it as "the old guy's club". When I became a member,
the ARRL was *my* organization too.

My opinion is that the FCC thinks LESS of the ARRL than it might
have two decades or more ago.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. That doesn't make it
factual; it just makes it your opinion.

deny him what you will but please garnt him his thae man can ramble
and roll on and on

YEAH he do! :-) Little nit-picky arguments over minutae, all
design to "prove" his opponents are "wrong." Argue with him on
those things and he will try to turn it around that the arguer
is always wrong. Jay-suss, that gets old fast...it got old years
ago.

I'll bet it got old for you, Len. You must have gotten tired of being
shown to be in error time after time.

I have some some my favoritie colections of his sentenced pulled out
of rapp in file for reading when I need help to sedate my mind after a
particualrly stresfull day

Whatever works for you, Mark. I don't pretend to be a guru.
I've been around the horn a few times in radio, mostly in other
radio services, so I speak from SOME experience. The only thing
"different" in amateur radio is the man-made jargon and procedure.
The theory, the electrons, fields and waves, all work the same
for EVERY radio service. No difference there. Real designers,
real theory folks KNOW this.

Other radio services have their own man-made jargon, procedures and
regulations.

Amateur radio is not solely about design and theory. Much of it is
about operating, the thing which an amateur radio license permits you to do.

The practitioners of amateur radio, at least some, will pound
on the table, get red in the face, hollering that the ONLY way
one can learn "radio" is to become an amateur licensee. That's
totally stupid emotional non-logic.

It surely is stupid, emotional non-logic. In fact, you're the only
fellow I've seen make such a statement.

Most of those just haven't
had any real experience in other radio services and the resent
those of us who have done so.

I wouldn't advise that you start off making such statements when you
first put your brand new amateur radio license to use in getting on the air.

Those practitioners want to SHUT
OUT any mention of other radio services as "not applicable" to
amateur radio.

That's not the case either, Leonard. You've been told that amateur
radio is not like other services when it comes to the use of Morse code.
It is still heavily used in amateur HF and VHF weak signal work.

That is just compounding the stupidity and
illogic.

It would be if your statement were true. It isn't. You've made another
factual error.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil March 29th 07 05:50 PM

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
They gave a war back in the day... ?Miccolis didn't show up then,
either.
� �True, but he KNOWS ALL ABOUT it. �Sigh...and isn't reticent
� �about chiding volunteer military veterans. �:-(

Neither are you or hot-ham-and-cheese, old sojer. �You two act like
you're super citizens whose military service has elevated you above others.

We HAVE served, robust oberst. We ARE a bit better than
those that NEVER served.

Just a couple of days ago you ridiculed someone who wrote about the
Vietnam War Memorial.

"Ridiculed?!?" NO.

That's incorrect. Anyone can read what you wrote. You ridiculed and
insulted.

Failed to heap gratuitous praise on some
emotional outburst by an UNIDENTIFIED person? YES.

No, Len, you ridiculed.

�You bleated something about Korea.

I didn't "BLEAT," robust oberst.

Yes, you did, Foghorn.

I simply stated that the
Korean War has NOT YET been settled. It is in an
almost perpetual state of truce since July, 1953.

"There WAS a real, shooting war in northeast Asia then. Were YOU
there? In Korea?"
--Len Anderson

You didn't serve in Korea during the Korean War.

I was assigned to the 8235th Army Unit, a signal
battalion attached to Army Central Command in the
Far East from late January 1953 to January 1956. The
Korean active War was from June 1950 to July 1953.

I see. You didn't serve in Korea during the Korean War.

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage.

"Classic?!?" Hardly. The writing wasn't good enough for
the "classic" classification. :-)

No, it wasn't. The fantasy piece was still a classic. It developed a
cult following and was quickly dubbed "The Sphincter Post".

�Your embellishment of your military service is legend.

"Embellishment?!?" :-)

Yes, embellishment.

Are you going to write the
Department of the Army and demand they retract my
Good Conduct Ribbon award? :-)

No, Len. I'm going to rub your face in it every time you start to wrap
yourself in bunting and lecture anyone about their military service or
lack thereof.

What I did during my active US Army assignment is
described in the photo essay available at:

http://sujan.hallikainen.org/Broadca...s/My3Years.pdf

So we've been told on numerous occasions.

What WE do NOT have is the illustrious battle experience
of mighty warrior David Heil *IN* a country at war.

No, you don't, do you? Such material has been posted on the web pages
of at least two Vietnam veteran organizations. I can't be faulted for
your inability to find the information, nor am I obligated to provide
you with any such information.

Strangely
enough he is most reticent about saying anything on that.

I haven't been reticent at all. I simply haven't posted much about it
here. I've long observed your tactics which are evidenced by your
sentence below.

Chances are, those saying nothing detailed were just the
usual REMF trying to pad out their 'histories.'

Len AF6AY

ex-RA16408336, SSgt SigC, US Army (1952-1960)

NB: The "RA" in the old Army Service Number indicates
a voluntary enlistment. A "US" prefix denotes a draftee.

Dave K8MN
AF12832692

Note: The "AF" in the number indicates "Air Force". My number was
changed not too long after my enlistment to an "AF" number which was the
same as my Social Security Number. I'm not giving you that one.

Dave Heil March 29th 07 05:52 PM

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
They gave a war back in the day... ?Miccolis didn't show up then,
either.
� �True, but he KNOWS ALL ABOUT it. �Sigh...and isn't reticent
� �about chiding volunteer military veterans. �:-(

Neither are you or hot-ham-and-cheese, old sojer. �You two act like
you're super citizens whose military service has elevated you above others.

We HAVE served, robust oberst.

Yes, we HAVE, Foghorn.

We ARE a bit better than
those that NEVER served.

Where in the U.S. Constitution might we find confirmation of your claim?

Which U.S. law provides such a statement?

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil March 29th 07 05:53 PM

AF6AY wrote:

Len AF6AY

ex-RA16408336, SSgt SigC, US Army (1952-1960)

NB: The "RA" in the old Army Service Number indicates
a voluntary enlistment. A "US" prefix denotes a draftee.

Note: The Air Force never drafted anyone at any time.

Dave K8MN

KH6HZ March 29th 07 06:36 PM

"Dave Heil" wrote:

I'm sure that your view was formulated based upon your own experience with
inertia: Decades of considering all things concerning GETTING INTO amateur
radio, better than ten years of posting in this newsgroup, your false
start over seven years ago and finally, waiting for the Morse code test to
disappear.

To think that someone would not get involved in amateur radio for over a
decade, if not longer, solely on the basis of a morse code examination
required for privileges 30mhz and below -- given the huge amount of
diversity in the ARS -- is probably one of the saddest, if not most
pathetic, things I've heard in my lifetime.

Why purposely deny yourself years of fun and enjoyment?

73
kh6hz

AF6AY March 30th 07 02:19 AM

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
They gave a war back in the day... ?Miccolis didn't show up then,
either.

* *True, but he KNOWS ALL ABOUT it. *Sigh...and isn't reticent
* *about chiding volunteer military veterans. *:-(

Neither are you or hot-ham-and-cheese, old sojer. *You two act like
you're super citizens whose military service has elevated you above others.

Heil has no problem denigrating servicemen. *Why doesn't he mention
that?

Heil has a great number of problems. :-)

Just a couple of days ago you ridiculed someone who wrote about the
Vietnam War Memorial. *

Just a couple of days ago I thanked that individual for his service.
That doesn't mean that I approve of the memorial.

Ahem, one of those was super-patriot-phrase-shouting "No
Call Sign Given" who supposedly was "IN" the 101st
Airborne. It had all the earmarks of Major Dud, famous
for his gratuitous emotional phrase tossing. :-)

You bleated something about Korea. *

You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. *How's your nomination coming?

He may have only 1 nomination vote. shrug

You didn't
serve in Korea during the Korean War. *

You didn't serve in Korea.

As far as I'm concerned, Heil hasn't shown us ANY proof
that He was in southeast Asia during his military service.

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage. *

Did Len get it wrong? *Tell us what it's like.

I'd like to know what David "knows." I've been roughly
200 yards from an artillery fall...which was 300 yards
too close to the training group I was in.

Your embellishment of your military service is legend.

Dave K8MN

Your smugness is legendary.

It must be his training at the Fruenze Military Academy. :-)

Well, we've had Major Dud in here expostulating up a storm
about his "USMC career." We've had Heil telling all sorts of
things about "being in a country AT war." Those all blend
together, don't they?

Did David actually OPERATE any radios (other than a BC
receiver) in Vietnam? I must have missed one of his brags
about that because I don't recall him giving any information
on that. I really can't believe half of what he says in here.

When I was assigned to ADA, we actually OPERATED HF
radios...and VHF radios...and UHF radios...and some
microwave radios. Before the 1965 date that the DoD
says the USA "got involved" in the Vietnam War. Not
only that, I've got photo and text references to that on a
publicly-accessible website. shrug

But, David is passing a brick about my being a "newcomer
to radio" (after 54 years of that) and I guess we are supposed
to let him do that. [the pain must be excrutiating for him]

73, Len AF6AY

Dave Heil March 30th 07 02:38 AM

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
[...]

It had no earmarks of anyone in particular, Leonard. Whoever the guy
was, he had a number of things right.

You can't let a post containing mention of military service pass without
donning your bunting, mounting your soapbox and attempting to belittle
that service. It is what you do.

You bleated something about Korea. �

You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. �How's your nomination coming?

He may have only 1 nomination vote. shrug

I've not announced that I'm running for any ARRL office. If or when I
do, you'll not have a chance to vote for a candidate from the Roanoke
Division. I understand your error. You're a newcomer to amateur radio.

You didn't
serve in Korea during the Korean War. �

You didn't serve in Korea.

As far as I'm concerned, Heil hasn't shown us ANY proof
that He was in southeast Asia during his military service.

As far as you're concerned, I've repeatedly told you that I'm not
showing you anything. Report me to the Stolen Valor folks (and be sure
to tell them of my claims regarding my military service) or deal with it.

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage. �

Did Len get it wrong? �Tell us what it's like.

I'd like to know what David "knows." I've been roughly
200 yards from an artillery fall...which was 300 yards
too close to the training group I was in.

Training group? Unless they were tired of your stories, I don't think
they were aiming at you, Len.

Your embellishment of your military service is legend.
Dave K8MN

Your smugness is legendary.

It must be his training at the Fruenze Military Academy. :-)

Well, we've had Major Dud in here expostulating up a storm
about his "USMC career."

There has been no one posting under that name, ever. If you mean Steve
Robeson, there is a freely accessible web site with information
confirming his time in the USMC. You've either never found it or never
bothered looking.

We've had Heil telling all sorts of
things about "being in a country AT war."

No, you haven't had me telling you much of anything. That seems to get
your goat.

Those all blend
together, don't they?

Actually, they don't.

Did David actually OPERATE any radios (other than a BC
receiver) in Vietnam?

I actually operated HF radio equipment on a daily basis.

I must have missed one of his brags
about that because I don't recall him giving any information
on that.

You've likely missed all of my brags regarding my military service in
Vietnam. I've never made any.

I really can't believe half of what he says in here.

You could take it all to the bank, Len. I can't force you to believe
anything.

When I was assigned to ADA...

Here we go again.

But, David is passing a brick about my being a "newcomer
to radio" (after 54 years of that) and I guess we are supposed
to let him do that. [the pain must be excrutiating for him]

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to
make it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

Dave K8MN

[email protected] March 30th 07 02:52 AM

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
They gave a war back in the day... ?Miccolis didn't show up then,
either.

? ?True, but he KNOWS ALL ABOUT it. ?Sigh...and isn't reticent
? ?about chiding volunteer military veterans. ?:-(

Neither are you or hot-ham-and-cheese, old sojer. ?You two act like
you're super citizens whose military service has elevated you above others.

Heil has no problem denigrating servicemen. ?Why doesn't he mention
that?

Heil has a great number of problems. :-)

He's got a kook for a neighbor.

Just a couple of days ago you ridiculed someone who wrote about the
Vietnam War Memorial. ?

Just a couple of days ago I thanked that individual for his service.
That doesn't mean that I approve of the memorial.

Ahem, one of those was super-patriot-phrase-shouting "No
Call Sign Given" who supposedly was "IN" the 101st
Airborne. It had all the earmarks of Major Dud, famous
for his gratuitous emotional phrase tossing. :-)

Accepting thanks for a deed not performed shows not honor.

You bleated something about Korea. ?

You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. ?How's your nomination coming?

He may have only 1 nomination vote. shrug

A Division of One!

You didn't
serve in Korea during the Korean War. ?

You didn't serve in Korea.

As far as I'm concerned, Heil hasn't shown us ANY proof
that He was in southeast Asia during his military service.

I believe him. Then there was the American Embassy in Tanzania. I've
wondered about his proximity during the bombing.

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage. ?

Did Len get it wrong? ?Tell us what it's like.

I'd like to know what David "knows." I've been roughly
200 yards from an artillery fall...which was 300 yards
too close to the training group I was in.

Yeh, there's usuall one KIA on every FTX, but usually from a vehicle
accident or pushing a mast ito power lines or something usually
preventable. We had a round impact next to dmain - I think it was
moonsan during Winter Haze. They really shouldn't let those guys play
with those things. They could hurt someone.

Your embellishment of your military service is legend.

Dave K8MN

Your smugness is legendary.

It must be his training at the Fruenze Military Academy. :-)

Did they win the war?

Well, we've had Major Dud in here expostulating up a storm
about his "USMC career."

Curtailed career with no explanation whatsoever... VA hospital,
rehabilitation, and disability pension, but was never injured, save
for some grit that got in his eye once. Hmmmm?

We've had Heil telling all sorts of
things about "being in a country AT war." Those all blend
together, don't they?

So who hasn't? Most of the people I actually know have been
deployed. I don't actually know Jim, but I'm told he has served in
other ways.

Did David actually OPERATE any radios (other than a BC
receiver) in Vietnam? I must have missed one of his brags
about that because I don't recall him giving any information
on that. I really can't believe half of what he says in here.

All I can recall about his retelling of his Vietnam period was being
PO'd at not being permitted to be a ham over there.

When I was assigned to ADA, we actually OPERATED HF
radios...and VHF radios...and UHF radios...and some
microwave radios. Before the 1965 date that the DoD
says the USA "got involved" in the Vietnam War. Not
only that, I've got photo and text references to that on a
publicly-accessible website. shrug

Around 1965, I was operating my dad's Philips SW set from Athens,
Greece. The birthplace of "democraticia" had a King, but no
television broadcasts, and we got our news and entertainment from BBC
and VOA. The Dutch station had the best music, but who knew what they
were saying?

But, David is passing a brick about my being a "newcomer
to radio" (after 54 years of that) and I guess we are supposed
to let him do that. [the pain must be excrutiating for him]

73, Len AF6AY

Yikes! That's one rough gall stone!

Anyway, I've passed the 20 year mark in amateur radio, and in ham
years I'm still wet behind the ears... according to the coded
elitists.

[email protected] March 30th 07 02:58 AM

On Mar 29, 10:38 pm, Dave Heil wrote:
AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:08?am, wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:18 am, Dave Heil wrote:

You bleated something about Korea. ?
You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. ?How's your nomination coming?

He may have only 1 nomination vote. shrug

I've not announced that I'm running for any ARRL office. If or when I
do, you'll not have a chance to vote for a candidate from the Roanoke
Division. I understand your error. You're a newcomer to amateur radio.

Apparently not. Len understands that he cannot vote for you. You'll
have to look elsewhere for your one vote.

Best of luck on your nomination.

KH6HZ March 30th 07 03:09 AM

"Dave Heil" wrote:

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license -- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left -- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

Dave Heil March 30th 07 03:10 AM

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:08?am, wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:18 am, Dave Heil wrote:
You bleated something about Korea. ?
You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. ?How's your nomination coming?
He may have only 1 nomination vote. shrug

I've not announced that I'm running for any ARRL office. If or when I
do, you'll not have a chance to vote for a candidate from the Roanoke
Division. I understand your error. You're a newcomer to amateur radio.

Apparently not. Len understands that he cannot vote for you.

Does he? He seems to think that nominations are votes.

You'll
have to look elsewhere for your one vote.

Best of luck on your nomination.

A guy who can't find the required number of other ARRL full members in
his entire Division to sign his nominating petition would have more
problems than worrying about getting one vote. Even Carl Stevenson
rounded up enough folks to be nominated. He was "otherwise disqualified."

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil March 30th 07 03:24 AM

KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license...

It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

-- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left...

I don't intend to keep reminding him of his remaining time on the
planet. Any of us could easily go before Len does. All it takes is a
traffic accident (Roger Wiseman's death wish for me: failing brakes,
sharp curves, twisting road) or a sudden illness. The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done. I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database. It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play. He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

Dave K8MN

[email protected] March 30th 07 03:33 AM

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:08?am, wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:18 am, Dave Heil wrote:
You bleated something about Korea. ?
You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. ?How's your nomination coming?
He may have only 1 nomination vote. shrug
I've not announced that I'm running for any ARRL office. If or when I
do, you'll not have a chance to vote for a candidate from the Roanoke
Division. I understand your error. You're a newcomer to amateur radio.

Apparently not. Len understands that he cannot vote for you.

Does he? He seems to think that nominations are votes.

You'll
have to look elsewhere for your one vote.

Best of luck on your nomination.

A guy who can't find the required number of other ARRL full members in
his entire Division to sign his nominating petition would have more
problems than worrying about getting one vote.

Indeed. That was Len's point. Nice to see you came around to it in
your round about way.

[email protected] March 30th 07 03:35 AM

On Mar 29, 11:09 pm, "KH6HZ" wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:
You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license -- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left -- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

Not to mention club call signs... He's way, way, way behind the power
curve. Maybe you could offer some pointers.

Dave Heil March 30th 07 04:38 AM

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:08?am, wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:18 am, Dave Heil wrote:
You bleated something about Korea. ?
You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. ?How's your nomination coming?
He may have only 1 nomination vote. shrug
I've not announced that I'm running for any ARRL office. If or when I
do, you'll not have a chance to vote for a candidate from the Roanoke
Division. I understand your error. You're a newcomer to amateur radio.
Apparently not. Len understands that he cannot vote for you.

Does he? He seems to think that nominations are votes.

You'll
have to look elsewhere for your one vote.
Best of luck on your nomination.

A guy who can't find the required number of other ARRL full members in
his entire Division to sign his nominating petition would have more
problems than worrying about getting one vote.

Indeed. That was Len's point.

Len's point is under his hair.

You and Len seem a little confused. I'm not running for any League
office. I've not made any announcement that I was.

Nice to see you came around to it in
your round about way.

I'd think you'd see that you and Leonard are walking around in circles.
You had me running for an election and Len had me looking for a
"nomination vote." Those were two factual errors from two folks who
make quite a number of factual errors.

Dave K8MN

AF6AY March 30th 07 04:56 AM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

From: Dave Heil on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:34:59 GMT

From: on Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:00:14 -0400

I have a much lesser view of "inertia" (failure to "get going"
on some problem) that is supposed to be in government. I see
such "inertia" as simply the time required in having to
consider ALL citizens' input, not just one group that thinks
they are the 'only' ones who can be righteous on some viewpoint.

I'm sure that your view was formulated based upon your own experience
with inertia: Decades of considering all things concerning GETTING INTO
amateur radio, better than ten years of posting in this newsgroup, your
false start over seven years ago and finally, waiting for the Morse code
test to disappear.

Oh, my, passing that brick must have REALLY hurt! You
certainly MANUFACTURED a great number of FALSEHOODS
there, David. :-)

Amateur radio was NOT one of my life goals, David. It is just
a small part of the much larger world of radio where I've lived
and worked in for decades. It just wasn't something I desired
or longed for during all that time.

My participation in a campaign to (successfully) eliminate the
morse code test was a POLITICAL exercise in regards to old,
antiquated radio regulations for a hobby radio activity. That
had NOTHING to do with (what you imagine) as lusting after a
amateur radio license. :-)

Newcomers are generally
younger and aren't buying "the old guy's club" stuff like the
old guys did when they were young.

Generally younger? Do you mean generally younger than yourself when you
became a newcomer some weeks ago?

I was a newcomer in radio 54 years ago. :-) I'm not a "newcomer"
in ANY radio, sweetums.

I became an ARRL member at 14.

Bully for you. Why did you WAIT so long? Didn't you know that
you could have been licensed at age 4?

You WAITED and procrastinated for a WHOLE DECADE! :-)

My opinion is that the FCC thinks LESS of the ARRL than it might
have two decades or more ago.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. That doesn't make it
factual; it just makes it your opinion.

Yes, Sherlock, that is MY OPINION. You don't like my opinion.
TS on that, sweetums.

Your dislike of MY OPINION is just your dislike. It doesn't
make YOU "right" or even factual. :-)

Other radio services have their own man-made jargon, procedures and
regulations.

How do you know? Did you go to State Department RADIO
SCHOOL to learn that? Or did State accept your "knowledge
of ham radio" as superior to everything else and just
assign you to an Embassy right away?

Why don't you quote some "jargon and procedure" from an ATCRBS?
How about from some harbor or inland waterway? How about from
some MARS field exercise with other government radio services?
Do you roger that, old airman? :-)

Amateur radio is not solely about design and theory. Much of it is
about operating, the thing which an amateur radio license permits you to do.

I've OPERATED radios on LF, on HF, on VHF, on UHF, and on
microwaves WITHOUT *ANY* LICENSE! Legally, too. :-)

I've OPERATED broadcast transmitters, even talked over them,
with a COMMERCIAL radio operator license...something that is
NOT PERMITTED with an amateur radio license.

I've OPERATED a civil aviation radio, its companion VOR, and
ATC Transponder with a COMMERCIAL radio operator license. The
FCC will not allow an amateur radio licensee to do that unless
they have a commercial license. That was AT the controls of
the aircraft at the time. :-)

I have NOT "operated" using morse code on any radio...and I
don't care to do so now. Isn't that what YOU call "operating
a radio?" :-)

The practitioners of amateur radio, at least some, will pound
on the table, get red in the face, hollering that the ONLY way
one can learn "radio" is to become an amateur licensee. That's
totally stupid emotional non-logic.

It surely is stupid, emotional non-logic.

If you think so, why on earth did you use the "newcomer to radio"
remark earlier in this message?

Well, at least you agree that some of YOUR OWN remarks in
the past were, indeed, "stupid, emotional non-logic."

In fact, you're the only fellow I've seen make such a statement.

Did your computer screen malfunction. I was just paraphrasing
your own words of the past.

Most of those just haven't
had any real experience in other radio services and the resent
those of us who have done so.

I wouldn't advise that you start off making such statements when you
first put your brand new amateur radio license to use in getting on the air.

I've already been on the amateur bands, David...and have
discussed such subjects with other radio amateurs here. :-)

Those practitioners want to SHUT
OUT any mention of other radio services as "not applicable" to
amateur radio.

That's not the case either, Leonard. You've been told that amateur
radio is not like other services when it comes to the use of Morse code.

Tsk, tsk, you've TOLD ME a lot of different ****, David.
Complete with the wearing of the Waffen SS costume with
monocle in a terrible parody of Colonel Klink. :-)

It is still heavily used in amateur HF and VHF weak signal work.

Then by all means USE it yourself. Why do you insist on
shoving YOUR preferences down others' throats?

It would be if your statement were true. It isn't. You've made another
factual error.

Tsk, tsk, your biggest FACTUAL ERROR was opening your browser
and attempting to convince others that their preferences should
be the same as yours. Compounding that was your FACTUAL ERROR
in assuming you were some kind of "authority" and/or "leader"
on who should do what and where.

Every time you shout "factual error" you make your own FACTUAL
ERROR. You have NO authority to judge anyone. You weren't even
elected to any ARRL office...and you've been a member since you
were fourteen! I'd say you really, Really, REALLY procrastinated
on that. My, my, all that time and couldn't become an OFFICER!

Have you considered joining the Civil Air Patrol? I hear they
will make just about anyone an OFFICER! No USAF schooling in
that, either! Now hurry up and PASS THAT BRICK.

73, Len AF6AY

AF6AY March 30th 07 06:32 AM

On Mar 29, 6:35�pm, wrote:
On Mar 29, 11:09 pm, "KH6HZ" wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote:
You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. *I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license -- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left -- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

Not to mention club call signs... *He's way, way, way behind the power
curve. *Maybe you could offer some pointers.

Yeah...something "up with which Deignan will not put!"

Wow, a collitch instructor stating a sentence that ends with:
...accumulate 230k+QSOs that others accumulted here have."

;-)

Wow, "I waited 54 years to get a ham license?!?" I don't think
so. :-) To some of those olde-tymers, the ONLY radio world
is the amateur world! They don't get out much.

But, I guess ham radio is the ONLY career they have. Pity
that. [snif, snif, boo hoo]

73, Len AF6AY

AF6AY March 30th 07 06:47 AM

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:

You didn't serve in Korea.

* *As far as I'm concerned, Heil hasn't shown us ANY proof
* *that He was in southeast Asia during his military service.

I believe him. *Then there was the American Embassy in Tanzania. *I've
wondered about his proximity during the bombing.

Well, let's just say that Heil's PROOF of service is a tad
scant. :-)

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage. ?

Did Len get it wrong? ?Tell us what it's like.

* *I'd like to know what David "knows." *I've been roughly
* *200 yards from an artillery fall...which was 300 yards
* *too close to the training group I was in.

Yeh, there's usuall one KIA on every FTX, but usually from a vehicle
accident or pushing a mast ito power lines or something usually
preventable. *We had a round impact next to dmain - I think it was
moonsan during Winter Haze. *They really shouldn't let those guys play
with those things. *They could hurt someone.

Right! The cadre we had were mostly career officers of
the red (artillery) and were NOT happy about THEM being
so close to the fall zone.

Your smugness is legendary.

* *It must be his training at the Fruenze Military Academy. *:-)

Did they win the war?

Yes, they did! [see private e-mail]

* *Well, we've had Major Dud in here expostulating up a storm
* *about his "USMC career." *

Curtailed career with no explanation whatsoever... *VA hospital,
rehabilitation, and disability pension, but was never injured, save
for some grit that got in his eye once. *Hmmmm?

Heh...but he finally got some RANK. I looked in on his
home page. A much newer flight suit, but less hair and
more pudgyness. Still the familiar scowl. He must think
that makes him look like a "tough guy." :-)

* *We've had Heil telling all sorts of
* *things about "being in a country AT war." *Those all blend
* *together, don't they?

So who hasn't? *Most of the people I actually know have been
deployed. *I don't actually know Jim, but I'm told he has served in
other ways.

Serving is serving. Who knows, he could have been a bus
boy at an O Club somewhere in PA when going to collitch.
Bus boys sometimes do serving.

* *Did David actually OPERATE any radios (other than a BC
* *receiver) in Vietnam? *I must have missed one of his brags
* *about that because I don't recall him giving any information
* *on that. *I really can't believe half of what he says in here.

All I can recall about his retelling of his Vietnam period was being
PO'd at not being permitted to be a ham over there.

Really? I thought he ran the Vietnam MARS stations all
by himself! I was mistaken. :-)

* *When I was assigned to ADA, we actually OPERATED HF
* *radios...and VHF radios...and UHF radios...and some
* *microwave radios. *Before the 1965 date that the DoD
* *says the USA "got involved" in the Vietnam War. *Not
* *only that, I've got photo and text references to that on a
* *publicly-accessible website. *shrug

Around 1965, I was operating my dad's Philips SW set from Athens,
Greece. *The birthplace of "democraticia" had a King, but no
television broadcasts, and we got our news and entertainment from BBC
and VOA. *The Dutch station had the best music, but who knew what they
were saying?

Hilversum's PCJ is world famous and Eddie Starz was still
alive in 1965. Terrific linguist, could handle most of the
languages himself! "Peace, Cheer, Joy" is what he called
PCJ. Difficult for me to get Holland directly so I tune for
their Netherlands Antilles repeater station.

* *But, David is passing a brick about my being a "newcomer
* *to radio" (after 54 years of that) and I guess we are supposed
* *to let him do that. *[the pain must be excrutiating for him]

Yikes! *That's one rough gall stone!

He's a big guy, ruff and tuff...he can take it.

Anyway, I've passed the 20 year mark in amateur radio, and in ham
years I'm still wet behind the ears... *according to the coded
elitists.

Nobody "better" than the coded elitists. Ask any one of them.

Sigh...there'l be no peace for them until the last coder's key
is pried from their cold, dead fingers. I'll be helping with the
pry bar when it happens. :-)

73, Len AF6AY

[email protected] March 30th 07 11:38 AM

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:08?am, wrote:
[...]

You're not? You didn't?

Nice to see you came around to it in
your round about way.

I'd think you'd see that you and Leonard are walking around in circles.
You had me running for an election and Len had me looking for a
"nomination vote." Those were two factual errors from two folks who
make quite a number of factual errors.

Dave K8MN-

Dave, you'll never fulfill your dream of being the Roanoke Division
Director if you don't run. That's a fact.

[email protected] March 30th 07 11:43 AM

On Mar 30, 2:32 am, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 29, 6:35?pm, wrote:

On Mar 29, 11:09 pm, "KH6HZ" wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote:
You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. ?I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license -- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left -- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

Not to mention club call signs... ?He's way, way, way behind the power
curve. ?Maybe you could offer some pointers.

Yeah...something "up with which Deignan will not put!"

Wow, a collitch instructor stating a sentence that ends with:
...accumulate 230k+QSOs that others accumulted here have."

;-)

You'll never see Jim or Dave point that out.

Wow, "I waited 54 years to get a ham license?!?" I don't think
so. :-) To some of those olde-tymers, the ONLY radio world
is the amateur world! They don't get out much.

They don't get out at all. Maybe they should try a trade show (no,
not a hamfest).

But, I guess ham radio is the ONLY career they have. Pity
that. [snif, snif, boo hoo]

73, Len AF6AY

No career? They'd be perfect for an ARRL office; no conflict of
interest.

KH6HZ March 30th 07 12:29 PM

"AF6AY" wrote:

Wow, a collitch instructor stating a sentence that ends with:
...accumulate 230k+QSOs that others accumulted here have."

What exactly is a "collitch" instructor? Is it one of those secret jobs only
"professional" radio people know about?

AF6AY March 30th 07 05:14 PM

On Mar 30, 2:43�am, wrote:
On Mar 30, 2:32 am, "AF6AY" wrote:

On Mar 29, 6:35?pm, wrote:

On Mar 29, 11:09 pm, "KH6HZ" wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote:
You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. ?I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license -- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left -- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

Not to mention club call signs... ?He's way, way, way behind the power
curve. ?Maybe you could offer some pointers.

* *Yeah...something "up with which Deignan will not put!"

* *Wow, a collitch instructor stating a sentence that ends with:
* *...accumulate 230k+QSOs that others accumulted here have."

* *;-)

You'll never see Jim or Dave point that out.

* *Wow, "I waited 54 years to get a ham license?!?" *I don't think
* *so. *:-) * To some of those olde-tymers, the ONLY radio world
* *is the amateur world! *They don't get out much.

They don't get out at all. *Maybe they should try a trade show (no,
not a hamfest).

That might be pointless. What could they trade? Old log books?

I know a couple logging companies. Those keep books on
their logging business. Not quite the same.

* *But, I guess ham radio is the ONLY career they have. *Pity
* *that. *[snif, snif, boo hoo]

No career? *They'd be perfect for an ARRL office; no conflict of
interest.

Oh, I think there is plenty of conflict. Like with the folks they
want to officiate. Those don't take kindly to having a few tell
the many what they should be doing... :-)

73, Len AF6AY

AF6AY March 30th 07 05:17 PM

On Mar 30, 3:29�am, "KH6HZ" wrote:
"AF6AY" wrote:
* *Wow, a collitch instructor stating a sentence that ends with:
* *...accumulate 230k+QSOs that others accumulted here have."

What exactly is a "collitch" instructor? Is it one of those secret jobs only
"professional" radio people know about?

"Collitch" refers to the English skills (or lack thereof) of some
instructor that writes "...that others accumulated here have."

You have Collitch Degrease, Mr. Clubman? Is it slippery like
your fake "clubs" you got callsigns for? :-)

Ciao, Len AF6AY

KH6HZ March 30th 07 05:45 PM

"AF6AY" wrote:

"Collitch" refers to the English skills (or lack thereof) of some
instructor that writes "...that others accumulated here have."

I'm not aware of any "Collitch" (or, College, for that matter) instructors
who post here, Gramps.

Who might they be?

Dave Heil March 30th 07 06:04 PM

From: Dave Heil on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:34:59 GMT

From: on Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:00:14 -0400

I have a much lesser view of "inertia" (failure to "get going"
on some problem) that is supposed to be in government. I see
such "inertia" as simply the time required in having to
consider ALL citizens' input, not just one group that thinks
they are the 'only' ones who can be righteous on some viewpoint.

I'm sure that your view was formulated based upon your own experience
with inertia: Decades of considering all things concerning GETTING INTO
amateur radio, better than ten years of posting in this newsgroup, your
false start over seven years ago and finally, waiting for the Morse code
test to disappear.

Oh, my, passing that brick must have REALLY hurt! You
certainly MANUFACTURED a great number of FALSEHOODS
there, David. :-)

No, Leonard, I didn't manufacture any of it.

Amateur radio was NOT one of my life goals, David.

Why not sift through my statements above? You can let me know if you
find anything where I've written that amateur radio was one of your life
goals.

It is just
a small part of the much larger world of radio where I've lived
and worked in for decades. It just wasn't something I desired
or longed for during all that time.

Watch out, Len! You're fibbing again. You have expressed in this
newsgroup, a several decades interest in amateur radio. You have also
posted to this amateur radio newsgroup for better than a decade. You
have repeatedly written about "GETTING INTO amateur radio".
Additionally, your boast of seven years back is archived. There have
been several accurate quotes of it reposted here.

My participation in a campaign to (successfully) eliminate the
morse code test was a POLITICAL exercise in regards to old,
antiquated radio regulations for a hobby radio activity.

It may be just a hobby activity to you, Len. The FCC does not define it
as such anywhere. Your "participation" in whatever does not negate your
past statements.

That
had NOTHING to do with (what you imagine) as lusting after a
amateur radio license. :-)

NOTHING, huh?

Newcomers are generally
younger and aren't buying "the old guy's club" stuff like the
old guys did when they were young.

Generally younger? Do you mean generally younger than yourself when you
became a newcomer some weeks ago?

I was a newcomer in radio 54 years ago. :-) I'm not a "newcomer"
in ANY radio, sweetums.

You're certainly a newcomer, Windy. You're a newcomer to amateur
radio--a beginner, a neophyte. Are you a youngster? Do you think of
the ARRL as an "old guy's club"? Do you consider yourself one of
amateur radio's Young Turks?

I became an ARRL member at 14.

Bully for you. Why did you WAIT so long?

I thought it best to wait until I had an amateur radio license.

Didn't you know that
you could have been licensed at age 4?

I didn't know amateur radio existed until I was nearly 13. I was
licensed a little over a year later. I suppose I could have hemmed and
hawed and procrastinated until the middle of my eighth decade. I didn't
see the point of waiting.

You WAITED and procrastinated for a WHOLE DECADE! :-)

No, Len, I didn't. When the calendar indicates my 44th year in amateur
radio, I'll be just 58.

My opinion is that the FCC thinks LESS of the ARRL than it might
have two decades or more ago.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. That doesn't make it
factual; it just makes it your opinion.

Yes, Sherlock, that is MY OPINION.

I just wrote that, Major Hoople.

You don't like my opinion.

Not much.

TS on that, sweetums.

You "TS" a lot of things, Foghorn.

Your dislike of MY OPINION is just your dislike. It doesn't
make YOU "right" or even factual. :-)

Being factual makes me "right" and "factual". :-)

Other radio services have their own man-made jargon, procedures and
regulations.

How do you know?

I know through participation. I know through listening. I know through
reading.

Did you go to State Department RADIO
SCHOOL to learn that?

Certainly I learned State Department procedure via State Department
instruction. Happy now?

Or did State accept your "knowledge
of ham radio" as superior to everything else and just
assign you to an Embassy right away?

I went through three months of initial instruction and went through
additional classes between tours. I did get a pass on the HF radio
propagation and electronics theory portion of the courses since that
part of the class was from the Heathkit General Class amateur radio
licensing course.

Why don't you quote some "jargon and procedure" from an ATCRBS?

Why would anyone quote anything from an automated system?

How about from some harbor or inland waterway?

To what end?

How about from
some MARS field exercise with other government radio services?

To what end?

Do you roger that, old airman? :-)

You seem to have a lock on old air, man. :-)

Amateur radio is not solely about design and theory. Much of it is
about operating, the thing which an amateur radio license permits you to do.

I've OPERATED radios on LF, on HF, on VHF, on UHF, and on
microwaves WITHOUT *ANY* LICENSE! Legally, too. :-)

That's grand, Len. I celebrate your deeds.

I've OPERATED broadcast transmitters, even talked over them,
with a COMMERCIAL radio operator license...something that is
NOT PERMITTED with an amateur radio license.

Funny you mention that, Len. I've done that too. It isn't amateur
radio. Broadcasting is a one-way medium. You can talk to Don Imus, but
he isn't listening.

I've OPERATED a civil aviation radio, its companion VOR, and
ATC Transponder with a COMMERCIAL radio operator license. The
FCC will not allow an amateur radio licensee to do that unless
they have a commercial license. That was AT the controls of
the aircraft at the time. :-)

That isn't amateur radio either, Leonard. Your puffery knows no bounds.

I have NOT "operated" using morse code on any radio...

No kidding?

...and I
don't care to do so now.

So don't do it.

Isn't that what YOU call "operating
a radio?" :-)

No, Len, that isn't what I call "operating a radio", though it certainly
can be considered such. I operate using a variety of modes.

The practitioners of amateur radio, at least some, will pound
on the table, get red in the face, hollering that the ONLY way
one can learn "radio" is to become an amateur licensee. That's
totally stupid emotional non-logic.

It surely is stupid, emotional non-logic.

If you think so, why on earth did you use the "newcomer to radio"
remark earlier in this message?

You use quotations to indicate something I didn't say. You're a
newcomer to amateur radio.

Well, at least you agree that some of YOUR OWN remarks in
the past were, indeed, "stupid, emotional non-logic."

I made no such remark.

In fact, you're the only fellow I've seen make such a statement.

Did your computer screen malfunction. I was just paraphrasing
your own words of the past.

You didn't paraphrase any of my statements.

Most of those just haven't
had any real experience in other radio services and the resent
those of us who have done so.

I wouldn't advise that you start off making such statements when you
first put your brand new amateur radio license to use in getting on the air.

I've already been on the amateur bands, David...

Oh? You have your new station set up and operational? How's it working
out for you?

...and have
discussed such subjects with other radio amateurs here. :-)

Here? That isn't a response to what I wrote.

Those practitioners want to SHUT
OUT any mention of other radio services as "not applicable" to
amateur radio.

That's not the case either, Leonard. You've been told that amateur
radio is not like other services when it comes to the use of Morse code.

Tsk, tsk, you've TOLD ME a lot of different ****, David.

You don't have to believe what I write, Len. The information I provide
you comes with a guarantee--if you don't like it or choose not to accept
it, you get double your incorrect ideas back.

Complete with the wearing of the Waffen SS costume with
monocle in a terrible parody of Colonel Klink. :-)

That isn't a sentence. :-)

It is still heavily used in amateur HF and VHF weak signal work.

Then by all means USE it yourself.

Why, I do use it quite often. It isn't my sole mode of operation.

Why do you insist on
shoving YOUR preferences down others' throats?

Feel free to point to any statement I've made which indicates that Morse
Code is the only mode available to radio amateurs. I made an accurate
statement indicating that CW is heavily used by radio amateurs in both
HF operation and in VHF/UHF weak signal work. You saw my statement as
me shoving my preferences down your throat. Your response was very,
very odd.

It would be if your statement were true. It isn't. You've made another
factual error.

Tsk, tsk, your biggest FACTUAL ERROR was opening your browser
and attempting to convince others that their preferences should
be the same as yours.

I wrote no such thing. You've made yet another factual error.

Compounding that was your FACTUAL ERROR
in assuming you were some kind of "authority" and/or "leader"
on who should do what and where.

My statement on the use of CW was accurate. It included nothing about
who should do what and where. That's yet another factual error on your
part.

Every time you shout "factual error" you make your own FACTUAL
ERROR.

You've just made another factual error, Len. I'll let you slide on the
part where you think I'm shouting. I'm typing and only use "all caps"
when doing a parody of you.

You have NO authority to judge anyone.

I don't need to ask permission to make a judgment, Len. We all make
judgments each day.

You weren't even
elected to any ARRL office...

I've been back in the U.S. for nearly seven years. In that time, I've
not sought an ARRL elected position.

...and you've been a member since you
were fourteen!

That's right!

I'd say you really, Really, REALLY procrastinated
on that. My, my, all that time and couldn't become an OFFICER!

An OFFICER? The membership doesn't elect OFFICERS, Len. It elects
Division Directors, Vice Directors and Section Managers. OFFICERS are
selected by the BoD.

Have you considered joining the Civil Air Patrol?

No, Len and I've not considered joining Moose Lodge either.

I hear they
will make just about anyone an OFFICER!

I don't fly a plane, Len.

No USAF schooling in
that, either!

Apparently there isn't any in the Moose Lodge either.

Now hurry up and PASS THAT BRICK.

If you need a brick, you can buy one through the ARRL. You could even
get one with your spanking new callsign and create your own memorial.

Dave K8MN

Davey Vile K8MN SUX March 30th 07 09:16 PM

On Mar 29, 12:50 pm, Dave Heil wrote:
Len Anderson said:
I simply stated that the
Korean War has NOT YET been settled. It is in an
almost perpetual state of truce since July, 1953.

"There WAS a real, shooting war in northeast Asia then. Were YOU
there? In Korea?"
--Len Anderson

You didn't serve in Korea during the Korean War.

I was assigned to the 8235th Army Unit, a signal
battalion attached to Army Central Command in the
Far East from late January 1953 to January 1956. The
Korean active War was from June 1950 to July 1953.

I see. You didn't serve in Korea during the Korean War.

I see you can't understand that from January 1953 When Len said he was
in Korea) to July 1953 (when you said the Korean conflict ended) is 6
months time served during war. Hint: January to June.

[email protected] March 30th 07 11:57 PM

From: Dave Heil on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:34:59 GMT
From: on Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:00:14 -0400

* *Amateur radio was NOT one of my life goals, David. *

Sure it was, Len.You just took over 50 years to
achieve that goal.

It is just
* *a small part of the much larger world of radio where I've lived
* *and worked in for decades. *It just wasn't something I desired
* *or longed for during all that time.

That's simply not true, Len. Your own words
prove that you *did* desire and long for the
status of being a radio amateur. You just
weren't willing to do the work to become one
until a few weeks ago.

* *My participation in a campaign to (successfully) eliminate the
* *morse code test was a POLITICAL exercise in regards to old,
* *antiquated radio regulations for a hobby radio activity.

Your participation consisted of sending a lot
of wordy comments and reply comments to
FCC and posting lots of words here. That's
your right, of course, but all it probably did
was slow down the process.

*That
* *had NOTHING to do with (what you imagine) as lusting after a
* *amateur radio license. *:-)

The smiley tells me it had everything to do with it.

* *Newcomers are generally
* *younger and aren't buying "the old guy's club" stuff like the
* *old guys did when they were young.

Generally younger? *Do you mean generally younger than yourself when you
became a newcomer some weeks ago?

* *I was a newcomer in radio 54 years ago. *:-) *I'm not a "newcomer"
* *in ANY radio, sweetums.

Yes, you are, Len. You're a newcomer to amateur radio. A tyro,
beginner, newbie, novice, wet-behind-the-ears, tenderfoot, newcomer to
Amateur Radio.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Amateur radio is not solely about design and theory. *Much of it is
about operating, the thing which an amateur radio license permits you to do.

* *I've OPERATED radios on LF, on HF, on VHF, on UHF, and on
* *microwaves WITHOUT *ANY* LICENSE! *Legally, too. *:-)

Lots of people have, Len. There's cb, baby monitors, cordless and cell
phones, FRS, GMRS....the list goes on and on.

* *I've OPERATED broadcast transmitters, even talked over them,
* *with a COMMERCIAL radio operator license...something that is
* *NOT PERMITTED with an amateur radio license.

So has anyone who calls in to Rush Limbaugh or Howard Stern, Len.

Broadcasting is one-way radio. That says a lot about you, Len. You
like broadcasting but you don't like to listen.

* *I've OPERATED a civil aviation radio, its companion VOR, and
* *ATC Transponder with a COMMERCIAL radio operator license. *The
* *FCC will not allow an amateur radio licensee to do that unless
* *they have a commercial license. *That was AT the controls of
* *the aircraft at the time. *:-)

Appliance operation, all of it. Push the button and talk, release the
button and listen. Maybe you had to select a channel and learn some
jargon.

* *I have NOT "operated" using morse code on any radio...and I
* *don't care to do so now.

Nobody says you have to or even should, Len.

*Isn't that what YOU call "operating
* *a radio?" *:-)

It's one way of operating. It's one of many things I
have done in amateur radio and you have not. It's
one of many things I can do and you cannot.

So what?

* *The practitioners of amateur radio, at least some, will pound
* *on the table, get red in the face, hollering that the ONLY way
* *one can learn "radio" is to become an amateur licensee. *That's
* *totally stupid emotional non-logic.

Yes, it is. Becoming a radio amateur is just one way to learn "radio".
It's a good way but not the only way.

It surely is stupid, emotional non-logic.

* *If you think so, why on earth did you use the "newcomer to radio"
* *remark earlier in this message?

He didn't, Len. You did.

You're a newcomer to amateur radio.

* *Well, at least you agree that some of YOUR OWN remarks in
* *the past were, indeed, "stupid, emotional non-logic."

When did K8MN or I "pound on the table, get red
in the face, hollering that the ONLY way one can learn "radio" is to
become an amateur licensee. " ?

In fact, you're the only fellow I've seen make such a statement.

* *Did your computer screen malfunction. *I was just paraphrasing
* *your own words of the past.

* *Most of those just haven't
* *had any real experience in other radio services and the resent
* *those of us who have done so.

Not true, Len.

You have almost no real experience in amateur
radio, and you resent those of us who do.

I wouldn't advise that you start off making such statements when you
first put your brand new amateur radio license to use in getting on the air.

* *I've already been on the amateur bands, David...and have
* *discussed such subjects with other radio amateurs here. *:-)

The smiley tells me the opposite is true.

* *Those practitioners want to SHUT
* *OUT any mention of other radio services as "not applicable" to
* *amateur radio.

That's not the case either, Leonard. *You've been told that amateur
radio is not like other services when it comes to the use of Morse code.

And many other ways.

* *Tsk, tsk, you've TOLD ME a lot of different ****, David.
* *Complete with the wearing of the Waffen SS costume with
* *monocle in a terrible parody of Colonel Klink. *:-)

It is still heavily used in amateur HF and VHF weak signal work.

* *Then by all means USE it yourself. *Why do you insist on
* *shoving YOUR preferences down others' throats?

Nobody is doing that but you, Len. You tried to shove
your preferences on real estate zoning down other people's throats
some years back. You also tried to shove your preferences on amateur
radio testing *and* age requirements for an amateur licensing down
other people's throats.

Compounding that was your FACTUAL ERROR
* *in assuming you were some kind of "authority" and/or "leader"
* *on who should do what and where.

K8MN is more of an authority on amateur radio
than you are, Len. He has decades of amateur radio experience and
knowledge. You are a newcomer to amateur radio.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

* *Every time you shout "factual error" you make your own FACTUAL
* *ERROR. *You have NO authority to judge anyone.

If he doesn't have the authority to judge others, Len,
then neither do you.

Jim, N2EY

Dave Heil March 31st 07 12:09 AM

Len Anderson said:
I simply stated that the
Korean War has NOT YET been settled. It is in an
almost perpetual state of truce since July, 1953.

"There WAS a real, shooting war in northeast Asia then. Were YOU
there? In Korea?"
--Len Anderson

You didn't serve in Korea during the Korean War.
I was assigned to the 8235th Army Unit, a signal
battalion attached to Army Central Command in the
Far East from late January 1953 to January 1956. The
Korean active War was from June 1950 to July 1953.

I see. You didn't serve in Korea during the Korean War.

I see you can't understand that from January 1953 When Len said he was
in Korea) to July 1953 (when you said the Korean conflict ended) is 6
months time served during war. Hint: January to June.

Hey, UnWiseman, your intelligence gathering skills are less than stellar.

Hint: I'm not getting a free tower and Len was in Japan.

Dave K8MN

Not Dloyd March 31st 07 09:58 AM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

link.net...
Len Anderson said:
[...]

Roger has yet to prove that he was, as claimed, in the Air Force.

And of course there is the house he resides in...he did not purchase it..he
inherited it.
Were it not for his step-mom, Roger would be living under a bridge with his
fellow Trolls and groveling for food scraps from the local dumpsters.
He has moved up, however. He now resides in a semi-liveable hovel with
alleged indoor plumbing and an inflatabile Girl Friend who guards his door
against "Knock Knock" visitors who come by at unnanounced hours. No more
dumpster diving for our Roger. He can now hold his head high..albiet with a
half-eaten head of lettuce in his jaw...but he came by it honestly.

Roger should strive to be more like Mark.

[email protected] March 31st 07 01:30 PM

On Mar 30, 2:47 am, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 29, 5:52?pm, wrote:

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
You didn't serve in Korea.

? ?As far as I'm concerned, Heil hasn't shown us ANY proof
? ?that He was in southeast Asia during his military service.

I believe him. ?Then there was the American Embassy in Tanzania. ?I've
wondered about his proximity during the bombing.

Well, let's just say that Heil's PROOF of service is a tad
scant. :-)

I saw his web page. He's not one of the nuts that claims to have been
in Vietnam and at Woodstock simultaneously.

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage. ?

Did Len get it wrong? ?Tell us what it's like.

? ?I'd like to know what David "knows." ?I've been roughly
? ?200 yards from an artillery fall...which was 300 yards
? ?too close to the training group I was in.

Yeh, there's usuall one KIA on every FTX, but usually from a vehicle
accident or pushing a mast ito power lines or something usually
preventable. ?We had a round impact next to dmain - I think it was
moonsan during Winter Haze. ?They really shouldn't let those guys play
with those things. ?They could hurt someone.

Right! The cadre we had were mostly career officers of
the red (artillery) and were NOT happy about THEM being
so close to the fall zone.

Many officers lacked a sense of humor.

Your smugness is legendary.

? ?It must be his training at the Fruenze Military Academy. ?:-)

Did they win the war?

Yes, they did! [see private e-mail]

Not in my long-time account, and I just checked my hotmail account -
it was inactive and I had to start it up again. No messages.

? ?Well, we've had Major Dud in here expostulating up a storm
? ?about his "USMC career." ?

Curtailed career with no explanation whatsoever... ?VA hospital,
rehabilitation, and disability pension, but was never injured, save
for some grit that got in his eye once. ?Hmmmm?

Heh...but he finally got some RANK. I looked in on his
home page. A much newer flight suit, but less hair and
more pudgyness. Still the familiar scowl. He must think
that makes him look like a "tough guy." :-)

When you're that short, you've got to use every angle to get a little
respect. Have you visited any of his "other" web pages?

? ?We've had Heil telling all sorts of
? ?things about "being in a country AT war." ?Those all blend
? ?together, don't they?

So who hasn't? ?Most of the people I actually know have been
deployed. ?I don't actually know Jim, but I'm told he has served in
other ways.

Serving is serving. Who knows, he could have been a bus
boy at an O Club somewhere in PA when going to collitch.
Bus boys sometimes do serving.

For all we know Jim is blind or in a wheelchair and had a perfectly
legitimate reason for not serving. Is Jim blind or in a wheelchair?

? ?Did David actually OPERATE any radios (other than a BC
? ?receiver) in Vietnam? ?I must have missed one of his brags
? ?about that because I don't recall him giving any information
? ?on that. ?I really can't believe half of what he says in here.

All I can recall about his retelling of his Vietnam period was being
PO'd at not being permitted to be a ham over there.

Really? I thought he ran the Vietnam MARS stations all
by himself! I was mistaken. :-)

That was Robesin - eavesdropping on phone patches with the wives...

[...]

I imagine that's where my interest in radio came from. Hey, that old
radio had tubes!

? ?But, David is passing a brick about my being a "newcomer
? ?to radio" (after 54 years of that) and I guess we are supposed
? ?to let him do that. ?[the pain must be excrutiating for him]

Yikes! ?That's one rough gall stone!

He's a big guy, ruff and tuff...he can take it.

He should seek medical help.

Anyway, I've passed the 20 year mark in amateur radio, and in ham
years I'm still wet behind the ears... ?according to the coded
elitists.

Nobody "better" than the coded elitists. Ask any one of them.

Sigh...there'l be no peace for them until the last coder's key
is pried from their cold, dead fingers. I'll be helping with the
pry bar when it happens. :-)

73, Len AF6AY

I've already got one; don't need another. For all I care they can be
buried with them. Hopefully it's not one of those $400 jewels and the
grave robbers leave them alone. RIP, I say!